Mr. Gustavs Latkovskis
Name and surname Gustavs Latkovskis, MD, PhD
Qualification Cardiologist, interventional cardiologist
Latvian Center of Cardiology, Paul Stradins Clinical University Hospital
- Clinical and interventional cardiologist (since March 2000) at the Coronary care unit and Heart Catheterization Laboratory.
- Supervisor for postgraduate training in cardiology (since September 2009).
Faculty of Medicine, University of Latvia
- Tutor and lecturer in cardiology (2001-2007).
- Docent (assistant professor) in Cardiology (2007-2011).
- Associate professor (2011-2015)
- Professor (since 1.12.2015.)
- Vice-dean (since 2016)
- Director of the study program “Medicine” (since 2016).
Latvian Institute of Cardiology and Regenerative Medicine, University of Latvia
- Investigator (2006-2007)
- Leading investigator (since 2008)
Certificates by professional societies
- Cardiology (A-61031; 20.04.2015.-20.04.2020.)
- Diagnostic catheterization of the heart and angiography of large vessels and coronary arteries (A-00693; 03.04.2017.-03.04.2022.)
- Interventional cardiology (A-01047; 10.06.2016.-10.06.2021.).
- Riga Secondary School N 42 (1978-1981) and Riga Secondary School N39 (1981-1989), Riga, Latvia
- Medical Academy of Latvia (Riga Stradins University), Riga, Latvia, medical doctor (MD), 1989-1995, Medicine.
- Medical Academy of Latvia (Riga Stradins University), Riga, Latvia, Internist, 1995-1998, Medicine, Internal Medicine.
- Medical Academy of Latvia (Riga Stradins University), Riga, Latvia, Cardiologist, 1998-2000, Medicine, Internal Medicine, Cardiology.
- University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia, PhD studies 2000-2005, PhD degree obtained in 2006, Medicine, Internal Medicine.
Previous work experience
Riga First Hospital
- Cardiology fellow, Coronary care unit (CCU), Department of cardiology (1996-2000).
- Cardiology fellow, Outpatient department of preventive cardiology (1998-2000).
Research in the fields of genetics of coronary heart disease, inflammation in coronary heart disease, genetic and phenotypic factors of platelet associated factors and anti-platelet resistance, cardiovascular prevention, pharmacogenetics and interventional cardiology, familial hypercholesterolemia, novel cardiovascular risk markers (since 2000). National Lead Investigator of the Latvian Registry of Familial hypercholesterolemia; FHSC project at the EAS (since 2015).
Experience in clinical studies
Studies in the fields of acute coronary syndrome, hypertension, dyslipidemia, heart failure and interventional cardiology: ESTEEM, HERO-2, SPICE, AZA 30002, OASIS-5, OASIS-6, EUROAPSIRE-LATVIA, Nordic bifurcation studies, SPIRIT WOMEN study, Nordic IVUS (NIVUS) study, Nordic II: Nordic Bifurcation Stent Technique Study, Nordic IV study, TRIAS study, DYSIS, CLARIFY registry, TRYTON, BIOLUX, COBRA, OCTOBER and others.
Membership in professional societies
- Member and Board member of the Latvian Society of Cardiology.
- Member and Fellow, European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- Member and Board member of the Latvian Medical Association (since November 2010)
- Member of the Council of the Certification of the Latvian Medical Association (since November 2010, reelected in December 2014, chairman since December 2014)
- Member and board member of the Baltic Atherosclerosis Society (secretary, 2004-2007; president 2013-2018).
- Professional member, American Heart Association (AHA)
· Visiting physician at the Section of Cardiology (chief Prof. David P. Faxon), University of Chicago (USA) Medical Center (05.07. to 01.08.2002).
· Training programs on working with statistical software package SPSS Fast track to SPSS, Further data manipulation techniques, Building predictive models,Woking, UK (06. to 09.05.2003.).
· “Hands-on” (heart catheterization laboratory) and research (inflammatory and genetic factors of restenosis) experience, Department of Cardiology, Ospedale Maggiore di Novara (in collaboration with Department of Genetics, University of Torino, Italy, 01.06.-30.07.2004.)
· Course “Logical Reasoning in Human Genetics”, Helsinki, Finland (19.-23.09.2004.).
- “Hands-on” experience at the Heart catheterization laboratory, Jagellonian University, Krakow (Poland) (09.04.-20.05.2006.)
- Course in interventional cardiology “Complex lesions” (directorsJ. Fajadet, P. Rubino), Avellino, Itālija, 03.-04.04.2008.
- Medtronic School of Science Seminar in Advanced Statistics in Interventional Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Brussels, Belgium (10.-12.02.2011.)
Good clinical practice
Certificates in Good Clinical Practice since 2001 (latest on 12.4.2018.)
- National expert of the Latvian Counsel of Sciences in the field of Biology and medicine (Internal medicine, since 2009, reelected in 2013 and 2016)
- Member of the Promotion board in Medicine, Pharmacology and Biology, University of Latvia (since 27.01.2010., re-elected in 2012.).
- Supervisor of the post-graduate training in cardiology at the Pauls Stradins Clinical University Hospital and University of Latvia (since October 2009).
· Lecturer, Continuous medical education course in Cardiology for general practitioners (topics: diagnosis, treatment and prevention of CHD; dyslipidemia; hypertension).
- Member of the Task force of the Latvian Society of Cardiology for the Guidelines on Cardiovascular prevention, Guidelines for Acute Coronary Syndromes, Deep Vein Thrombosis as well as Scientific Consensus Statement on Use of Anticoagulants in Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation.
- Reviewer of the National guidelines on Heart Failure.
- National representative as a reviewer of the ESC guidelines.
Awards and nominations
- Ilmars Lazovskis Award 2016 for the Fundamental Contribution in Medicine (contribution to development of the Latvian medical sciences, education and cardiology), Annual National Award by the Latvian Medical Association.
- Professor of the Year in Medical Education 2016, Annual Award in Medicine by the Latvian Medical Association.
Publications and abstracts: see attached. h-index: 10